March 13, 2020
Dear Parents/Guardians and School Community Members:
I am writing to keep you informed with respect to the District’s efforts as we move forward with teaching and learning amidst reports from county, state, and federal officials concerning the new Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please be advised that out of an abundance of caution, and to minimize instances of students, parents and community members assembling in our schools and so that at our buildings can be thoroughly cleaned every night the District is suspending all large group gatherings and postponing several events:
- All field trips and after-school sports practices and games are cancelled through the end of the April break.
- All after-school clubs are cancelled through the end of the April break.
- All adult and student recreation activities are cancelled through the end of the April break.
- All large group gatherings and assemblies are cancelled through the end of the April break. The following events are postponed and will be rescheduled after the April break:
- Defensive Driving- Saturday 14th LOMS
- LOMS Theatre Production- Friday, March 20th – Sunday, March 22nd
- Site-Based Meetings- Monday, March 23rd
- Music in Our Schools- Wednesday, March 25th – Friday, March 27th
- UPK Parent Meetings- Thursday, March 26th
- NJHS Induction, Thursday, April 2nd
- Recreation Easter Egg Hunt, Saturday April 4th is CANCELLED
- PTA Meeting- Monday, April 6th
- District-Wide Art Show- Tuesday, April 7th
- FXH parent-teacher conferences will be conducted via telephone.
- Pre-K Mystery Readers are cancelled through the end of the April break.
- The LOMS and FXH School Store will be closed through the end of the April break.
- Pretzel days are cancelled through the end of the April break.
- After-school bond work scheduled at LOMS and FXH will be postponed until the start of the April break when students and staff are not in attendance.
- Summer Recreation registration will occur using personal checks through the mail or by credit card only (no in-person registration).
Please note, early morning activities and early morning Regents classes will be conducted as usual. Also, breakfast will be served for students receiving free or reduced price meals.
In the event of an extended school closure, digital instruction will be communicated with students and parents via each teacher’s page on the District’s website. All teachers will begin providing students with assignments and due dates by 12:00 PM of the first day that schools are closed. During an extended school closure, a message will appear on the District’s website that will read “School Closure Digital Instruction.” Parents and students will use this link to be directed to either the FXH or LOMS Teacher Pages. In addition, the District has also acquired the i-Ready online instruction platform for all students to use in school and at home. I-ready offers personalized online lessons in English language arts and mathematics based on each student’s individual skill level and needs. An informative letter about the program including your child’s unique username and password will be sent home today via backpacks and in the mail.
It is important for us to be prepared in the unlikely event that we must temporarily close our schools. We are sure that questions will arise about the information presented above. A Parents Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Regarding School Closures document has been prepared in the hope of addressing some of your concerns and is posted to the District’s website.
As members of the Island Park Community, it is imperative that we all do our part to prevent the possible spread of any illness. As a reminder, please have children engage in all proper hygiene protocols outlined in my previous letter regarding hand washing, coughing and sneezing and please have children stay home when they are sick.
Thank you for your understanding and continued support during these challenging times. We will continue to update the community as new information becomes available. Please check our website and Facebook daily as well as the New York State Department of Health website for updates: https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/
Rosmarie T. Bovino
Rosmarie T. Bovino, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools