Summer Reading 2nd Grade
This summer your child will take part in a Summer Reading Challenge! Incoming 3rd graders are asked to read for 15-20 minutes daily and record their reading on the log found on the reverse side of this letter. Second, he/she has selected two books from the classroom library to write two responses from the choices below. (Please be sure to return the book to your 3rd grade teacher in September so it can be returned to me.)
Remember: The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you’ll go.”— Dr. Seuss, “I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!”
Summer Reading Response Choices for Incoming 3rd Graders:
1. Friendly Letter: Write a Friendly Letter to a family member telling the important parts of the story.
2. Opinion Writing: Write an opinion piece about the book you read. Be sure to use evidence from the story to support your opinion (why you did or did not like the book).
3. Point of View: Imagine how the story would change if it was told by another character. Write several sentences retelling the main parts of the story from a different character’s point of view.
4. Poetry: Choose a character from the book and use his/her name to create an acrostic poem describing that character.
5. All About: Write an “All About” paragraph teaching something you learned from the book. Illustrate when you have finished.
Your new teachers are going to enjoy reading your writing as much as we did! Please come back to share some of your writing! Remember to read, read, read! Stay healthy and safe.
Your Second Grade Teachers