Summer Reading Kindergarten
Welcome to Summer Reading 2021. Your child will choose books that interest them! Incoming 1st graders are asked to read for 5-10 minutes daily. Our Summer Challenge requires that this information be logged each day. In addition, we would like your child to complete 2 reading responses. Some choices are listed below. These responses are due September 24th. We hope your child will discover new worlds through literature and most of all have fun!
Resources for Summer Reading
One book selected from our classroom library. These books should be returned to each child’s 1st grade teacher in September.
Select books from the Public Library or home.
Summer Reading Responses for Incoming 1st Graders
1. Chain of Events: Cut out strips of paper. Write 1 to 2 sentences on each strip. Include what happened first, next, then, and last. Use drawings to retell each part. Staple to create a book.
2. Artist’s Corner: Draw and label your favorite part of the story.
3. You Are the Author: Change the ending to the story. Write and illustrate!
4. You Are the Illustrator: Draw a new book cover. Be sure to add details in your drawing.
5. 4 Square Writing: Draw a large square and split it into 4 equal parts. Label each box with “characters”, “setting”, “plot” and “solution”. Write and draw about each category.
6. Popsicle Fun: Draw your characters and the setting on paper. Cut them out. Glue each to a popsicle stick. Reenact the story for your family.
Your 1st grade teachers are looking forward to hearing about your adventures. Perhaps you’ll write a few of your own! Remember to read, read, read! Stay healthy and safe.
Your Kindergarten Teachers